2. College and Hometown and Profession?
Graduate of The University of Virginia (’13)
Grew up in Charlotte, NC
Work as an analyst for a start-up wetland mitigation banking and restoration company based in Houston
3. How did you find out about AllSport?
After a few months in Houston I knew that I wanted to join and box and so I started to Google around for different places near where I lived.
4. Favorite thing about CrossFit?
The constant motivation. Where maybe I can only push myself to my limit 40-50% of the time when working-out on my own, with CrossFit, that number is more like 95%. I just get so much more out of each and every day in the gym.
5. Favorite WOD/Least Favorite WOD or Movement?
Least favorite is definitely handstand push ups, over-head squats, or anything where significant shoulder strength is needed – for some reason that has always given me trouble and I have to constantly work to stay flexible.
Most favorite would be almost any of the body-weight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats). I really like the longer, light weight, endurance WODs with some running thrown in.
6. WOD Nemesis, who do you battle or measure yourself against consistently?
I usually try to come in and put up a time that Jerry can’t beat, I think we are about 50/50 depending on the type of WOD. I definitely try to push myself to beat any time on the board already if I am able to do RX that day.
7. Married how long, kids?, Dating or Single?
8. Cats or Dogs?
9. How long have you been at AllSport?
Since the beginning of 2014.
10. What gains have been most impressive to you, weight loss, strength gain etc?
I have seen the most gains in my strength which I have been happy with. I also have been impressed with my gains in flexibility in my hips and shoulders.
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one piece of equipment, what would it be?
The Concept 2 – could pretty much make anything else I need with vines, coconuts and a good tree.
12. Strict Zone/Paleo or Mexican and Margaritas Kind of Paleo?
I am a far cry from Paleo – Mexican and margaritas are only the tip of the iceberg of my CrossFit sins.
13. How long did it take to get your first Pull-up or Muscle Up?
I think it took me a couple of months before I got a Muscle Up – but this was definitely a mental block more than a physical one. I didn’t try one for the longest time just because I was afraid at failing miserably. I eventually had to try it before one of the Open workouts when I knew I was going to have to at least make an attempt.
14. Class time you regularly attend? Why?
6:15AM. I am a morning person and think that it is a great jump start to my day. After CrossFit a good breakfast and a cup of coffee I can be ready for just about anything.
15. What movement(s) are you best at? Why?
Body weight movements and endurance exercises. Those are what I am used to all the way back to my wrestling days in high school, I have never been a very heavy lifter, and still enjoy a long run or swim every now and then.
16. What movement(s) are you worst at? What are you doing to get better at them?
Like I said before – handstand push-ups and the OHS. And I am not doing enough to get better at them – so today is a good day to start.
17. Beach and Sand or Snow and Skis?
Lake and Mountains
18. Three times a week or Unlimited?
19. CrossFit has helped me be a better _____________? You fill in the blank (ex. Dad, Softball Player, Husband, Nurse etc…)
Employee. I am overall a more productive person since I have started CrossFit! Gets me up in the morning and keeps my energy levels up throughout the day (unless we have a 4x500m Row for time – then I’m worthless until about noon).
20. If I could write the WOD on the board? What would it be? (You write the Strength and WOD)
5 Muscle Ups/Pulls Ups
10 Box Jumps
15 Kettle Bell Swings
20 Push ups