Eric Szymczak (pronounced “Shim-shack”)
2. College and Hometown and Profession?
I went to college at Texas A&M University, and my hometown is a small town called Anderson a little over an hour north of Houston. Profession is computer design.
3. How did you find out about AllSport?
I found out about AllSport through other friends who were already members around April of 2013. This was my first box and first experience with CrossFit.
4. Favorite thing about CrossFit?
I love the community aspect of it. You are really inspired to push yourself a little harder because of the group experience. If you were by yourself, it’s temping to slack off. But when you are surrounded by your peers, you encourage each other to put in more than you might normally do. The variety of workouts also ensures that you don’t get bored with the experience.
5. Favorite WOD/Least Favorite WOD or Movement?
Being a skinnier guy, I’m more partial to the bodyweight movements. So anything such as pullups, dips, etc I tend to do better at and thus like better :). Least favorite would probably be thrusters/wallballs, and rowing.
6. WOD Nemesis, who do you battle or measure yourself against consistently?
I can’t say that I have a particular nemesis. Honestly, on a “for time” basis I’m one of the slower guys in the class. But if I can finish somewhere middle of the road I consider it a good success!
7. Married how long, kids?, Dating or Single?
8. Cats or Dogs?
I love both, but I don’t have any here with me in the city. Back where I grew up my parents have both, so when I visit them I get the benefit of having them around then.
9. How long have you been at AllSport?
I started around April of 2013.
10. What gains have been most impressive to you, weight loss, strength gain etc?
I’ve always been a hardgainer, so weight loss wasn’t ever a goal of mine. However, I’ve definitely gained strength and cardio endurance.
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one piece of equipment, what would it be?
A pull-up bar!
12. Strict Zone/Paleo or Mexican and Margaritas Kind of Paleo?
I’ve experimented a lot with dieting over the years, but my current mantra is a relaxed one. With my body type and being an ectomorph, I tend to stay the same weight no matter what I eat. So I kinda just eat whatever feels right. Your body is telling you what it wants if you listen close enough.
13. How long did it take to get your first Pull-up or Muscle Up?
Pull-ups have never been a problem. I set out on a goal to get ring and bar Muscle-ups shortly after starting Xfit. About 6 months of working on them, I got a kipping bar and strict ring MU the same night. Coach Alexis J was encouraging me to try it the bar one more time, and I ended up getting it!
14. Class time you regularly attend? Why?
I’m actually currently only attending ASCF about once a week on Thursdays at 7pm. I am currently timesharing with another box, simply due to travelling/traffic/scheduling.
15. What movement(s) are you best at? Why?
Anything bodyweight! I think having good callisthenic control over your body will allow you to do most of the bodyweight movements.
16. What movement(s) are you worst at? What are you doing to get better at them?
I still need to learn double-unders….ughh….
17. Beach and Sand or Snow and Skis?
Beach and Sand for sure! I’m not a cold-weather guy.
18. Three times a week or Unlimited?
Punch card 🙂
19. CrossFit has helped me be a better _____________? You fill in the blank (ex. Dad, Softball Player, Husband, Nurse etc…)
Everything in normal everyday life is better. From walking to your car/taking the stairs and not being out of breath, to having something to take away the stress, it really makes everything better.
20. If I could write the WOD on the board? What would it be? (You write the Strength and WOD)
Front squat 3×5
EMOM for 15 mins
1x bodyweight Thruster
1x Bar muscle-up
(ultimate upper body set…. the two movements are direct opposites of each other… i.e generally speaking you push where you pull, and pull where you push for each movement)